The recruitment process is more complicated than it appears. You might think that as the person interviewing potential new employees you are the one in control of the meeting, however this is more than likely not the case. The person you are interviewing may have all the right answers for every question you’re likely to ask. So how do you get through the interview and find which person is the right one to employ?
How to Breeze Your Way Through the Recruitment Process
- It is important to start with a structured recruitment process so you don’t appear to stumble around looking for questions.
- Make a simple list of duties that this person will be responsible for. This allows you to be clear in your own mind about what the job entails.
- Decide on your selection criteria. You might think this is just for government or big business, but it’s just as important for a small business. It will help you stay focused on exactly what you need from the employee, in terms of skills, training, experience and personality.
- Make sure you undertake referee checks to validate what your prospective employee has said. It’s not only common for candidates to embellish their experience, but some have been known to lie.
- Be sure to offer the candidate the opportunity to ask you some pertinent questions as well. After all, you need to be the right choice for them too.
If you stick with this structure it will give rigour to your process and increase your chances of hiring someone who can do they job well and contribute effectively to your team. You’ll also be able to quickly and easily cull the applicants who don’t fit your requirements, even if they are nice to chat to.
Director, Your HR on Tap
Your HR on Tap is a pay as you go HR advice and support service – get support as you need it, when you need it, how you need it!